THE SCIENCE & HEART OF OSTEOPATHY
A WHOLE BODY APPROACH
A five year Osteopathy Degree includes a similiar depth of training in anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and clinical sciences as a medical doctor. With training in orthopaedics, pathology, neurology and muskuloskeletal mediciene we can assess you medically as well as osteopathically. Our assessments take into account the dynamic unity of a person – not just the body mechanics and musculoskeletal system, and not just the presenting symptom.
Everything in the body is inter-related
An injury in the neck can create symptoms in our arms and hands, and visa versa, a frozen shoulder will limit the movement of the neck. An inflamed gut can give you back pain. Stress does affect numerous functions of the body in addition to one’s mood. Whatever the issue, Osteopaths know the best techniques to help the body gently back to balance.
Growing awareness of the broad effectiveness of Osteopathy
Often Osteopathy can make the difference to having surgery or not as this case study shows (link) and it is a drug free way to support your immune system. In the case of healing trauma (trauma can be stored within the body) Osteopathy is now widely recognised as very effective. Studies in of patients in hospital in the USA, showed those who received osteopathic care for injuries recovered faster than those who did not (from a study in the 1950’s).
The Science & Safety is Compelling. And in real life, it works.
Everything that Osteopathy achieves is done safely and naturally. One of the most amazing things about Osteopathic Medicine is how practitioners are trained to feel and interpret delicate changes in all body tissues. As well as being trained in scientific diagnosis, they listen to the subtle tissue health signs in the body. They reinstate health through a gentle hands-on approach.
People Orientated, Not Disease orientated
It’s your life and potential we are most interested in, even though we are thoroughly trained to be able to make a scientifically based diagnosis. We cultivate the innate healing process within you and give you the tools to get better and maintain that new balance as much as possible. All of us at Waiheke Osteopaths are proud to not just change the mechanics of the people’s bodies, but to change lives.
All of the Osteopaths here recognise the importance of our own groundedness and self-care. We don’t superimpose our belief systems. We listen with our hands and respond to what the body tells us.
Extend your thinking on what Osteopathy can do
Osteopathy is well known for its successes with back pain and sports injuries, and it is well known as playing a significant role in pain management and stress management. Many come to Osteopaths for “essential health maintenance.”
Here is a list of some of the things Osteopathy can help:
- neck pain
- back pain
- headaches and migraines
- jaw pain and TMJ syndromes
- pain resulting from motor vehicle accidents
- pain resulting from over-use and sports injuries
- neurological syndromes
- digestive disorders
- genitourinary problems
- chronic infectious disease
- circulatory problems
- back pain
- digestive upset
- edema and swelling
- Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
- chronic ear infections
- recurrent sore throats
- frequent colds
- spitting up
- sucking difficulty
- delayed development
- birth trauma
- otitis media
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR FIRST SESSION
- Osteopathy is ACC registered. You can make your own appointment with or without a referral from your Doctor.
- Your initial 1 hour consultation will also include your first treatment.
- Your health issues will be discussed, and history notes will be taken.
- Your Osteopath will physically examine you and it may be necessary to remove some clothing to carry out the assessment. Naturally, your privacy will be respected.
- Simple stretches and movements will provide an accurate analysis of your posture and mobility.
- Your joints, ligaments and tissues will be assessed using a specialised technique of touch called palpation.
- A treatment plan will be proposed which may include home exercise programs, dietary and lifestyle changes.
- What will it cost?
$110 initial consultation session – 1 hour
$90 for follow up – 40 minutes.
$50 ACC surcharge for ACC related consultations.